Black Bean Avocado Burgers
Source: Ashley Simper, OSF Medical Center
½ red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
6 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
½ cup scallions, chopped
2l arge chipotle peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 Tablespoon garlic, chopped
2 (15 ounce) cans blacks beans, rinsed and drained, divided
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon cumin
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
2 avocados, sliced thin
8 whole wheat sandwich thins
2 tomatoes, sliced
8 lettuce leaves
1. Preheat oven to 375degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a food processor, add red pepper, scallions, garlic, 1 can of black beans, cilantro, eggs, cayenne pepper, cumin, and bread crumbs. Pulse to combine ingredients until smooth.
3. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl; add the remaining can of black beans and mix until well combined.
4. Form 8 patties, place on sprayed baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes or until firm.
5. In a small bowl, stir together both ingredients for chipotle mayonnaise.
6. Place a patty on the sandwich thin and top with avocado, lettuce, tomato, and chipotle mayonnaise.
Nutrition Information Per serving (1 burger with all toppings)
Total Fat: 9 g