Source: Ashley Simper, OSF Saint Francis Medical Center
½ of a medium eggplant
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
½ red bell pepper, chopped
¼ red onion, chopped
½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
¼ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
2 canned artichoke hearts, rinsed and chopped
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Position oven rack about 6” beneath the broiler. Preheat broiler.
2. Pierce skin of eggplant a few times with a fork to allow it to steam while broiling.
3. Place on a baking sheet and into broiler, turning with tongs every 5 minutes until the skin is charred and a knife inserted into the dense flesh near the stem goes in easily. This should take approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board until cool enough to handle.
4. Once eggplant is cool, slice it in half lengthwise and chop one half into small cubes.
5. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Top with smoked paprika.
6. Serve with homemade whole wheat pita chips.