Practice grill safety this 4th of July

By WEEK Producer

July 4, 2014 Updated Jul 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM CDT

The grills will be blazing this weekend with 4th of July cookouts.

There are a few ways to make sure your grilling efforts don't go up in smoke -- or worse -- hurt someone.

Emergency doctors at Vanderbilt University Medical Center say the most common safety mistakes result in severe burns after carelessly opening a scorching hot grill cover and touching a 500-plus degree hot surface.

Curious kids and pets, along with people wearing loose fitting clothing, are at particular risk from getting burned.

Safety experts recommend cleaning grill racks and tray and removing grease build-up which can catch fire.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.