It's all the ingredients for a frustrating day: work complications, issues in traffic, and other people's problems of the day...all of these can lead to a negative frame of mind.
We have all been there. Welcome to the UN-welcoming home routine.
Dr. Joy Miller explains how it happens and offers suggestions on how to make it a happier welcome home.
The unwelcoming home routine can be tough on marriages. Research suggests:
* Relationship satisfaction declines when a partner talks about a bad event
* Those who experiences this event is more likely to argue the partners who share good events with a partner fosters a healthier relationship
* The more positive things that partners share, the higher the likelihood that the other partner will share something positive
What can we do to make the situation better for the whole family?
* Ask everyone to settle in and decompose after work and school (this puts some closure on your day and relaxes your mood)
* Talk after you've had time to decompose and have some time for yourself.
* Practice good listening skills.
* Talk about the good parts of the day with your partner and children after dinner.