Love alone isn’t the only thing that makes up a happy and enduring relationship. Statistics show that almost 1/2 of all marriages end in divorce. This staggering statistic illustrates that the art of finding and maintaining healthy relationships might be an elusive commodity.
What is the most commonly forgotten element of a healthy relationship? Surprisingly, the answer is quite simple. You must learn to love yourself before you can love someone else. Anytime you are not connected with yourself, or find yourself “lost” in a relationship, you can be assured of unhappiness.
Our viewers might be wondering if their relationship falls into the “healthy” category? What are some of the key elements of a healthy relationship?
· A relationship encourages individuality. Healthy relationships encourage partners to have their own interests, friends, and can have time of separation without fear of abandonment.
· A relationship that invites growth. Healthy relationships are ever changing and bring new ideas, concepts, friendships, sharing new interests, and learning. If the growth stops, the relationship will become stagnant, boring, and distant.
· A relationship in which there is good communication. It is a relationship in which it is safe to express feelings of all types in an appropriate manner. Healthy relationships allow space to discuss your fears, your hurt, your grief, anger, and disappointment in a non-threatening way.
· A relationship that builds self-esteem. Healthy relationships make us feel good about who we are as a person. It is characterized by living with your best friend, your cheerleader, and the person who builds you up.
· A relationship built on commitment to resolution. Healthy relationships that are enduring are ones that find ways to negotiate, compromise, and handle conflicts and adversity.
· A relationship is built on the 5 to 1 principle: Research indicates that in a healthy and enduring relationship, the partners give five compliments, statements of appreciation and positive comments to every one negative statement. Try it and you will see amazing change!