Everyone knows that the holidays are stressful, but who is most affected by the stressors according to research? That's the topic of tonight's Dr. Joy.
Tonight we will discover who is at risk, and what some of the greatest stressors are for Americans.
First we look at what are the top sources for stress for Americans.
• The National Mental Health Association states that the number #1 stressor for Americans is financial issues (40 percent)
• The second stressor is the pain of past memories (37 percent)
• The third stressor is being involved in too many activities (34 percent)
• The fourth stressor is over-indulgence (28 percent)
What else do we know about the stressors for Americans?
• Parents are more stressed than singles; and women are more stressed than men when looking at financial concerns
• Memories that were painful are more difficult for Latinos & African Americans than Caucasians
• College graduates are less stressed than those without a degree
• We know that many people are depressed or anxious before the holidays even begin
Does research show any different concerns during this time period?
• Stressful people note that their highest stress is spending time with family (57 percent)
• Stress of feeling alone or being alone is the second highest concern (45 percent)
• Finances and past memories were tied for concerns at 39 percent
Hopefully, our holiday series will help all of our viewers with some excellent techniques for making this year the best holiday season.