Air conditioner catches fire in Peoria home

By WEEK Reporter

June 21, 2014 Updated Jun 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM CDT

PEORIA, Ill. -- Firefighters were called to the 2100 block of West Wiswall Street Saturday after receiving word of a home fire.

Fire officials say they arrived on the scene and noticed smoke coming from the upstairs window of the house.

Luckily, the fire was put out before anyone was hurt.

They believe the fire may have come from an air conditioner unit plugged in an overloaded circuit.

Neighbors began frantically knocking on the woman's door saying they saw flames.

Britiss Burks sent her kids to her sister's house moments before the fire broke out.

She says it was a close call.

"My kid's room is upstairs. They would have been upstairs. They probably would have been in the middle of it so I do thank God that my kids weren't there," Burks said.

Fire officials are urging residents to have their air conditioners and circuits checked if they notice sparks when connected.