BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – An early morning fire caused $25,000 worth of damage to a Bloomington home.
Bloomington firefighters responded to 2308 E. Jackson Street around 1:15 a.m. Friday.
Crews discovered a fire in the basement. It was quickly extinguished and contained to the basement, with smoke damage to the first floor.
Deputy Fire Chief Les Siron said the fire was caused by an overheated extension cord that was used to power a dehumidifier.
He said the cord had multiple items stacked on it which caused it to overheat and warned residents against using extension cords to power equipment such as dehumidifiers, refrigerators and air-conditioning units.
No injuries were reported.