Veterans encouraged to file military papers with the county

By Denise Jackson

March 15, 2012 Updated Mar 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM CDT

PEORIA, Ill. -- For veterans, having military separation papers is just as important as having a birth certificate. Separation papers or DD-214's are required by veterans who are using their benefits.

If lost, it can take up to six months to secure a copy from the federal government. The Peoria County Recorder of Deeds Office is reminding veterans that by recording their separation papers with the county, vets can more easily obtain certified copies.

"The county recorders provide a complimentary safe and secure location to have the DD-214 filed. They are able to get a certified copy at any time," said Peoria County Recorder of Deeds Nancy Horton.

Congressman Aaron Schock was on hand for the announcement. Schock said his office typically receives up to 30 requests per week from vets wanting copies of their military separation documents.

Veterans looking for information about recording their documents can contact the Peoria Recorder of Deeds office at (309) 672-6090.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.