Last week we discussed compassionate loving and putting the other person as a focus in our lives. Tonight Dr. Joy Miller brings us marriage sweeteners.
The 10 Tips: These sweeteners will enhance any relationship...
1. Put their goal first. Give them the last bite of cake, go to the movie they want, or even go to Broadway show that they love.
2. Try to understand. Focus on understanding your partner and that means asking questions to find out about their feelings and thoughts. Perhaps ask them questions about their dreams, aspirations, failures, regrets and bucket list.
3. Accept vs. judging. You may not like their choices, or their friends, but accept them and take the high road and choose not to judge or criticize.
4. Assume it is important. When they ask you to do something make it a priority and attend to it now.
5. Give them a gift of time off. Tell them to go out and enjoy some time alone, make a tub of bubble bath for them, accommodate their schedule and come home early to help out so they can get away.
6. Do something special. A card, a flower, make a bed, give a massage… little things mean so much.
7. Express tenderness. Affection can be a hug, a touch, a cup of tea, a romantic gesture.
8. Be there. Pay attention and help and listen when your partner is stressed or upset. Make time to just listen.
9. Show admiration. Give compliments, celebrate how much you care for the other person and look for ways to say good things about your partner.
10. Two words: Thank you.