BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Bloomington fire officials say a blanket placed on top a furnace caused a fire that destroyed a home Wednesday morning.
Firefighters responded to 26 Snapdragon Lane just before 7:30 a.m. and found heavy smoke pouring out the front and back of the double wide mobile home.
Two residents were home at the time of the fire and were able to escape before crews arrived.
The fire was brought under control in less than 10 minutes but the home is considered a total loss. Damage is estimated at $35,000.
The homeowners did not have insurance on the mobile home. The Red Cross was called to provide assistance.
Fire investigators said the home’s roof had begun to leak about the furnace following recent heavy rain. The homeowners had placed a blanket on top of the furnace to soak up the water.
The furnace was turned on overnight, due to the chilly morning temperatures, and the blanket ignited.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury on the scene.