Carbon monoxide dangers

By WEEK Producer

Carbon monoxide dangers

October 25, 2013 Updated Oct 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM CDT

PEORIA, Ill. -- As winter approaches, the Peoria Fire Department is reminding residents of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Each year thousands of people are sickened or killed by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Peoria's Division Chief of Fire Prevention says there are three levels of exposure: mild, medium, and extreme.

At low levels of exposure, symptoms may be confused as a seasonal cold or the flu.

Because the gas is odorless and colorless, it is important that homes have a working carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of all sleeping areas; it is also required by state law.

"Apartments are not exempt, those units with fossil fuel appliances and those attached garages, it is the property owners and managers responsibility to make sure those devices are in place," said Peoria Fire Department Division Chief Phillip Maclin

The Peoria Fire Department says last year, they responded to 83 carbon monoxide incidents, so far this year there have been 66.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.