Carbon monoxide leak in Chicago apartment building leaves 2 dead, 6 ill

By WEEK Producer

Carbon monoxide leak in Chicago apartment building leaves 2 dead, 6 ill

January 28, 2013 Updated Jan 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM CDT

CHICAGO -- Two people are dead and six others are recovering after a carbon monoxide leak in a Chicago apartment building.

Chicago fire crews responded to the building on Sunday.

Seventy-seven-year-old Rasheeda Akhter and 18-year-old Zanib Ahmed were rushed to the hospital, where they later died.

A few hours later, another person fell ill.

Authorities say a 74-year-old woman and five children between the ages of 5 and 12 ultimately were taken to the hospital.

Authorities say the building was checked twice for high carbon monoxide levels and nothing was found.

According to the Medical Examiner, 77-year-old Rasheeda died of carbon monoxide poisoning, but as for 18-year-old Zanib, her cause of death has yet to be determined.

According to the Chicago Fire Department, each floor of the building did not have a carbon monoxide detector as required by law.

Officials say exposure to low levels of CO over a long period of time is just as deadly as high levels over a short period of time.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.