Early morning fire caused by smoking near oxygen device

By WEEK Producer

Early morning fire caused by smoking near oxygen device

June 26, 2013 Updated Jun 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM CDT

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Bloomington Fire Department officials say an early morning fire was caused by the resident smoking near an oxygen device.

Crews responded to a home at 1423 Eastholme at 7:30 Wednesday morning on a report of a fire. They were able to quickly extinguish the fire and a resident transported to Advocate BroMenn Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

“This person was extremely fortunate, as their actions could have resulted in extreme injury or even death,” said Bloomington Fire Chief Michael Kimmerling. “People who use home oxygen typically have a more difficult time in escaping a fire quickly. There is no good reason to smoke around oxygen.”

Kimmerling says these types of fires can be especially deadly for residents and extremely dangerous to firefighters because fire needs oxygen to burn. The more oxygen there is in the air, the easier and more quickly everyday items will burn. For that reason, he says it is extremely important to never smoke around oxygen devices.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.