PEORIA, Ill. -- A District 150 school will need more repairs after an early morning fire.
Crews were called to the Woodruff Career and Technical Center in Peoria just before 8 a.m. Friday.
There they found smoke coming from the ceiling of a third floor classroom. Firefighters had to tear a part of the ceiling to contain the fire.
Division Chief Phillip Maclin said the fire had been smoldering overnight after an incident during construction work.
"They were cutting out a lintel in the window area, and they believed they had extinguished it and thought they were successful, but when it blows in insulation, it can be very deceiving. It can hide fire for a substantial amount of time. So, I can understand why they thought it might have been out, but it was not,” said Maclin.
The Division Chief said one firefighter injured his leg while carrying equipment. He was transported by AMT for treatment.
No word yet on his condition or estimated cost of damages. No other injuries were reported.