Early morning fire damages Bloomington home

By WEEK Producer

Early morning fire damages Bloomington home

July 19, 2013 Updated Jul 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM CDT

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – An early morning fire caused $25,000 worth of damage to a Bloomington home.

Bloomington firefighters responded to 2308 E. Jackson Street around 1:15 a.m. Friday.

Crews discovered a fire in the basement. It was quickly extinguished and contained to the basement, with smoke damage to the first floor.

Deputy Fire Chief Les Siron said the fire was caused by an overheated extension cord that was used to power a dehumidifier.

He said the cord had multiple items stacked on it which caused it to overheat and warned residents against using extension cords to power equipment such as dehumidifiers, refrigerators and air-conditioning units.

No injuries were reported.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.