Accident while working on car causes garage fire

By WEEK Producer

December 23, 2013 Updated Dec 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM CDT

PEORIA, Ill. -- Cold weather played a factor in a Peoria garage fire Monday night.

The Peoria Fire Department responded to the fire on the 27-hundred block of North Victoria Avenue just before five Monday evening.

One man was working on his car in the garage when a propane heater sparked the blaze.

Crews managed to put out the fire, but said the cold weather makes the job much more difficult.

"Considering the conditions I think the guys did a great job getting the initial fire knocked down. It's rough, it's cold out and as soon as you get wet, you're cold and then you're done," said Jerry Malone, Battalion Chief, Peoria Fire Department.

The man in the garage suffered minor burns--and refused treatment.

No other injuries were reported.

The garage is a total loss and two houses nearby have minor damage.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.