Firefighters in Canton have setbacks on way to house fire (With Photos)

By WEEK Reporter

January 24, 2013 Updated Oct 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM CDT

CANTON, Ill. -- Canton firefighters had to fight their way to a house fire Thursday.

Just before 11 Thursday morning, the Canton Fire Department got a call of a house fire at 723 South first street.

In route to the fire, crews encountered a train blocking their path, and once they reached the home crews found a downed powerline, which they had to work around.

No one was in the home at the time of the fire, but two firefighters were injured after the front porch fell onto them. They were taken to Graham hospital, and were treated and released.

Four animals were in the home at the time of the fire. One dog was saved, but two other dogs and a cat perished.

The fire was caused by overloaded electrical circuits, which overheated and caught fire.

The home is considered a total loss.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.