Future of ambulance service in Chillicothe remains unclear

By Audrey Williams

Future of ambulance service in Chillicothe remains unclear

September 12, 2012 Updated Sep 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM CDT

CHILLICOTHE, Ill -- The future of Chillicothe's Rescue 33 remains unclear.

Residents came together Wednesday evening to discuss that future at a public forum.

Last week the volunteer-run, free service had its license revoked for lagging response time and lack of staff.

President of Rescue 33, Ron Hadden, says they sent an appeal to the EMS board Tuesday.

In the meantime, Hadden is working with the city and its residents to come up with a long-term solution for the ambulance service.

"If they win that appeal, that's awesome. If they don't, we're going to have to go to plan B, to try to form an organization, or corporation, or wait on the tax levy to see what happens," said Chillicothe resident Judy Lauber.

"There is still a long road ahead, especially for them and litigation and for us in the city and surrounding townships to be able to make sure everybody is protected," said Alex Block, a Chillicothe city alderman and volunteer fireman.

To get up to regulation the Mayor of Chillicothe, Troy Childers, said it will cost about $400,000.

While Chillicothe works through this issue, AMT out of Peoria is stationed in Chillicothe to quickly respond to emergency calls. This service, however, does require payment to AMT for emergency transport.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.