PEORIA, Ill. -- The Illinois Department of Transportation and the Illinois State Police would both like to remind drivers to be careful during Thursday's winter storm.
IDOT says that they will have crews out plowing and salting roads Thursday and through the night, and will continue to do so until the storm system passes. They also say to not crowd the plow and give their crews plenty of room to work.
IDOT also gives these additional winter driving tips:
1) Leave extra time for your trip, if driving is necessary during the storm
2) Reduce your speed
3) Give additional following distance when driving
4) Make sure your gas tank is full
5) Keep warm clothing and blankets in your car, in case you get stranded
In addition, the Illinois State Police would like to remind drivers of the following driving tips for in-climate weather
1) only use cruise control on dry surfaces
2) if you lose traction gradually slow down, do not slam on the brakes
3) use caution when driving on bridges and ramps, frost forms on these surfaces first
4) be careful when approaching shaded areas, this is the last place for ice and snow to melt.