ISU students survive carbon monoxide scare

By Beau Ebenezer

November 30, 2012 Updated Nov 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM CDT

NORMAL Ill -- Illinois State University students are safe after facing a near death experience Monday night, and they have one resident's mother to thank for it.

It was a typical school night for seven Normal residents at 501 Broadway Street.

None of them knowing, they were sitting in a possible death trap.

"We were just sitting down watching Monday Night Football when we started hearing a beeping noise going off and we really didn't know what was going on at first and then I walked over and saw it was a carbon monoxide detector," said resident, Chris Kelly.

Officials say a flue pipe in the basement broke, allowing carbon monoxide to flow into the house.

Residents immediately evacuated safely thanks to their alarm detector.

Something Normal Fire Captain, Jim Vaughn says they were fortunate to have.

"It was very smart of them and very fortunate that they had a carbon monoxide detector installed, and that the alarm actually activated, alerting them so they could leave. There were dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide in the basement of the structure."

The house is currently under ownership of Young America Realty.

The residents say the the realtors did not install any carbon monoxide detectors at all.

This house had only one carbon monoxide detector thanks to one resident's mother who installed it herself.

"Well she ended up saving all of our lives so at first your like come on, we don't really need that and sure enough, you needed it and it saved all of our lives."

"I always thought that every house had to have one, but we didn't have one, she installed that one and that's what saved us," said resident, Pete Tschammer.

According to Illinois law, under the Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector Act, it is the responsibility of the owner of a structure to supply and install alarms within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes.

Following the incident, the pipes in the basement were restores and the proper number of carbon monoxide detectors were installed.

Young America released a statement saying they hold the safety of it's residents in the highest regard and they have multiple levels of emergency contacts that its residents can use.

Young America relocated the residents to a nearby hotel for three nights.

They are now back in the house.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.