MORTON, Ill. -- Jefferson Street under Interstate 74 in Morton will be closed from Tuesday, July 30 until Fall 2014.
The Illinois Department of Transportation said the closure is necessary for the removal of the tunnels under I-74 and construction of a new bridge carrying I-74 over Jefferson Street.
Traffic will be routed on a signed detour via Detroit Avenue, Jackson Street and Veterans Road.
This project is part of the complete reconstruction of I-74 from Pleasant Hill Road to Morton Avenue in Tazewell County. It includes:
- construction of additional through lanes on I-74
- reconstruction of the I-155 interchange into a new configuration
- ramp improvements at the Morton Avenue interchange
- removal of eight existing structures on I-74 with replacement of six of those structures
- pavement removal and replacement
- installation of highway lighting
- installation of roadway drainage
The project is expected to be completed in 2015.