Lawsuit halts inmate transfers from Dwight and Tamms

By WEEK Producer

August 8, 2012 Updated Oct 26, 2013 at 4:03 AM CDT

The State of Illinois is stopping inmate transfers from two Illinois prisons in Dwight and Tamms.

AFSCME, the union representing prison guards and staff, had sued the state of Illinois over the closings, arguing that transferring inmates posed a "grave risk" to prison workers.

Governor Pat Quinn ordered the closings in order to save 100-million dollars but AFSCME and Dwight city officials argue Illinois prisons are already over-crowded, and that the closings will disrupt life in two communities unnecessarily.

"It doesn't make any sense. the plan I've seen so far doesn't work," said Dwight correctional office Dan Dunlap.

"Figures don't lie but liars figure," said Dwight mayor Bill Wilkey. "I think that's what's going on here."

The freeze on inmate transfers will remain in place at least until August 17, when another court hearing is to be held in Southern Illinois.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.