DUNLAP, Ill -- A heart of Illinois family is thankfully, uninjured after a fire destroyed their Dunlap home Sunday night. Investigators believe the blaze was sparked by lightning.
The home owner says she was home when the fire started, but made it out safely. A family pet, however is still missing.
The house is located at 10501 Pauli Road in Dunlap.
The home's owner Terri Gardner Jones says she lives in the home with her husband, as well as her adult daughter, who is 8 months pregnant.
Garnder says she came home Saturday night around 8:30. That's when she says lightning struck the garage area of the home, and something caught fire.
Fire crews were called to scene, but the fire quickly spread throughout the house, resulting in a total loss.
The owner says everyone including pets got out safely, but one family dog is still missing.
Friends and family were searching the woods near the home Sunday for the missing pet.
Gardner says they will be staying with family as they sort things out.
Meantime, area businesses are stepping up to help the family. Gardner is the owner of the Reflections Tannery salons in Peoria. Donations are being taken there.
Owners of Apricot Lane in the Shoppes at Grand Prairie are offering a 20% discount for anyone who brings in a donation.
Employees at Reflections say the family is most in need of men's and women's clothing, as well as maternity clothes, and any baby items, preferably for a baby girl.
You can also make a monetary donation at Apricot Lane or Reflections.
If you have any donations questions you can call Reflections employee Jenne Smith at (309) 453-1065.