November 15, 2012
Updated Nov 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM CST
PEORIA, Ill. -- Motorists get ready; a new roundabout will officially open November 19.
Peoria Public Works officis say the Allen and Hickory Grove Intersection Roundabout was funded by Dunlap School District to improve intersection and a portion of Hickory Grove Road in conjunction with the construction of a new Dunlap grade school.
“Roundabouts are designed to make intersections safer and more efficient for drivers, pedestrian and cyclists," said Public Works Interim Director, Jeff Smith.
A few key points to remember when driving roundabouts are:
· Slow down as you near the roundabout
· Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk
· Yield to vehicles already in the roundabout
· Enter to the right
· Drive counter-clockwise around the roundabout
· Signal to exit
· Slowly exit to the right to leave the roundabout
· Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk as you leave the roundabout.
· Since this is a school crossing, pay particular attention to school age children crossing and to the crossing guards.