Overnight fire may have been caused by smoking materials

By WEEK Producer

Overnight fire may have been caused by smoking materials

July 19, 2013 Updated Jul 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM CDT

NORMAL, Ill. – Normal Fire officials say an overnight fire may have been caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

Normal firefighters responded to 1100 Henry Street just before 2:30 a.m. Friday on a report of a house and deck on fire.

The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the deck and exterior wall of the home.

While the cause of the fire is undetermined at this time, officials say the source was possible improperly discarded smoking materials which ignited the exterior wall finish of the home and then spread to an attached wooden deck.

No injuries were reported. Damage is estimated at $10,000.

Fire officials say each year almost 1,000 people are killed in home fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials. The offered the following tips:

• Cigarettes should be completely stubbed out in an ashtray.
• Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away. Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash can.
• Never smoke in a home where medical oxygen is being used.
• Place properly installed and maintained smoke alarms on every level of your home and inside and outside of sleeping areas.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.