PEORIA, Ill. – Peoria Police have issued a warning about a telephone scam.
Police said a scammer, posing as a relative, has been calling residents claiming they need bail money to get out of jail.
Then a second person gets on the line, identifies themselves as a police officer and tells the victim where to send a money order.
Police have these reminders so you won't get taken:
• A police agency will never call asking for bail money
• A police agency will never ask you to send money to a private citizen
• A police agency will never ask a person to send separate money order payments to several different people
• Always confirm the story with your relatives or friends
• Always confirm if you’re actually talking to a relative or friend