Quinn renews call for Assault Weapon ban

By WEEK Producer

December 12, 2012 Updated Dec 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM CDT

CHICAGO -- Governor Pat Quinn says he will leave it up to the Attorney General whether or not to appeal the U.S. Court of Appeals decision to lift the ban on concealed carry.

Wednesday, during a news conference in Chicago, Quinn said his office will work closely with the General Assembly to fashion a conceal carry law. He also renewed his call for an assault weapons ban.

"I want to say today, and I will continue to say everyday, we need to ban assault weapons in our state of Illinois. We are not going to have people marching down Michigan Avenue or any other avenue in the state of Illinois with military style weapons. Weapons that are designed to kill people," said Quinn.

In July, Quinn used his amendatory veto power to alter a bill to include an assault weapon ban.

The Illinois House overrode that veto earlier this month.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.