There is a dangerous new trend that involves the popular candy Smarties. Instead of eating them, kids are snorting them.
They are crushing the candy and inhaling it, in videos seen all over YouTube.
The bizarre trend is happening across the nation, including at a Rhode Island middle school, where the principal sent an email about it to students.
Dr. Stephanie Hartselle said this new trend is part of a slew of online dares but does not believe kids are getting high off the candy.
"I think that the kids are experiencing some kind of sugar rush from it. That can definitely happen. But I think the thing about it but it sounds so innocent but scaring in your lungs, infection…even respiratory arrest can happen from the snorting of candies,” she said.
In an extreme case, an infection could lead to maggots trying to eat leftover sugars in the nostrils.
"While we haven't seen maggots, it is something where infection can get into the longs and kids can get very, very sick from this,” said Dr. Hartselle.