Target acknowledged Thursday that a security breach may have impacted 40 million customers who used credit or debit cards at its stores.
The announcement came one day after a security blogger reported the issue.
The accounts would have been impacted between November 27 and December 15.
Washington resident Jessica Evans is one of the unlucky ones.
She went to the East Peoria store to buy soda earlier this month.
Evans never imagined a few days later -- someone in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania would be using her information to make purchases.
Evans checks her bank statements regularly.
Last week, she noticed two unusual purchases, both for $65.
Evans said her debit card never left her possession -- and it's scary to think that they didn't even need it.
"I'm really kind of scared to use my future debit card that's coming. I'd kinda like to use cash," said Jessica Evans.
In a statement, the company said they have worked closely with law enforcement, and that the problem is resolved.
Target said they alerted authorities immediately after they were made aware of the problem and said they are working hard to bring whoever is behind the breach to justice.
Target said they are even working with a third-party forensics firm to do a thorough investigation.