Tuesday morning house fire caused by smoking

By WEEK Producer

October 29, 2013 Updated Oct 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM CDT

PEORIA, Ill. -- A Tuesday morning fire at the home on 3300 N. Atlantic resulted in $25,000 in damage.

Firefighters responded to the incident at approximately 4:40 a.m. They were able to extinguish a fire that had consumed two couches in the living room.

The resident of the home, Carlos Gomez, told fire crews he had fallen asleep while smoking and awoke to the smell of smoke.

Gomez said he was able to get his two children, ages three and four, out of the house and call 911.

There were no injuries in the fire.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.