MCLEAN COUNTY, Ill. -- A fast-moving fire in North Meadow Village destroyed one mobile home, killed two dogs, and left a family homeless Friday night.
Normal Fire Department responded just before 5:00 p.m. to 865 8th Street in North Meadow Village Mobile Home Park on Normal’s north side. Multiple 9-1-1 calls were received reporting visible flames and heavy smoke coming from the home.
The tenants were not home at the time of the fire. Two dogs were in crates within the home and perished.
“Whenever we have a fire such as the one we had tonight, it is important to remind everyone to check their smoke alarms and make sure they work tonight before they go to bed,” said Matt Swaney, Normal Fire Department Public Education Officer.
“We could be looking at a much more tragic situation had this fire occurred in the middle of the night while the family was inside sleeping. This fire grew so fast and gave off so much toxic smoke, that without a working smoke alarm, no one in the home would have survived.” He added, “In a fire, every second counts. Please, check your smoke alarms tonight.”
The double-wide mobile home was a total loss. There was also damage to property on the porch, a vehicle in the driveway and a nearby shed. Damages are estimated at $80,000.
American Red Cross of the Heartland is assisting the occupants in locating temporary shelter and clothing.
The home was not insured.