BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – A fire in an underground electrical vault caused thick smoke to billow out of a manhole cover in downtown Bloomington on Thursday.
Bloomington Fire Department Public Information Officer Brad McCollum said firefighters responded to a parking lot near the Government Center around 4:45 p.m.
They secured the area and made sure no residents were affected by the smoke.
McCollum said the toxic smoke made it unsafe to send firefighters into the vault. Ameren Illinois cut power to the vault and the fire burned itself out by 6 p.m.
He said the fire posed no hazard to the public.