BARTONVILLE, Ill. -- A Bartonville woman is dead, following a fire Tuesday morning.
Authorities say the victim, 44-year-old Wendy Rybolt, had escaped from the house, but went back inside to get her cell phone.
Police say crews were called to a house fire at 319 Harrison where one resident was reported to still be inside.
Bartonville police said an officer attempted to rescue the woman, but had to retreat when they were overcome by smoke.
When firefighters arrived, they were able to retrieve the victim.
Earlier, police say the woman and her daughter were out of the house, when she made a fateful decision to retrieve her cellphone, and was overcome by smoke.
"Material things can be replaced. You never want to go back in to retrieve anything. In this, there was heavy smoke. Carbon monoxide will get you, and you may not even know it," Chief Brian Fengel of the Bartonville Police Department.
The woman was taken to OSF where she was pronounced dead shortly before 4:30 a.m.
An officer was also taken to OSF for smoke inhalation and observation.