NBC News: Boston Marathon bombing suspect charged

Credit: MGN Online

NBC News: Boston Marathon bombing suspect charged

April 22, 2013 Updated Apr 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM CDT

(NBC News) Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was charged Monday with using a weapon of mass destruction – and the White House said he will be tried in a civilian court.

According to the NBC News report:

“He will not be treated as an enemy combatant.  We will prosecute this terrorist through our civilian system of justice,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said.

“Under U.S. law, United States citizens cannot be tried in military commissions.  And it is important to remember that since 9/11 we have used the federal court system to convict  and incarcerate hundreds of terrorists.”

Tsarnaev, 19, a naturalized U.S. citizen of Chechen origin, were made his initial court appearance at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical  Center, where he was listed in serious condition.

At the hospital, Tsarnaev had been answering investigators’ questions in writing because a throat wound -- possibly the result of a suicide attempt -- prevented him from speaking, federal officials told NBC News.

Read the NBC News report HERE.