DUI fatality spurs McLean Co. bar penalties, closing

By Anna Yee

Gallery

3 photos

June 26, 2012 Updated Jun 26, 2012 at 7:32 PM CDT

MCLEAN CO., Ill. -- A longtime McLean County tavern will close its doors after a DUI crash killed one of its patrons earlier this year.

The decision comes after Tuesday's Liquor Control Commission meeting in Bloomington.

Mike Rickgauer, attorney for Danvers Y Inc., says the bar owner admits to serving alcohol to minors on at least two occasions.

Radley Monson, 19, pleaded guilty to aggravated DUI after he had been drinking at Danvers "Y" in February.

That crash killed 20-year-old passenger Nicholas Kaufmann and injured two other passengers.

Attorneys on both sides say revoking the bar's liquor license and shutting down the business is the best move.

"My client fully cooperated," said Rickgauer. "We showed the films of the young gentlemen drinking. We cooperated from the beginning, and there was no reason to deny it.Clearly, an underage gentleman was served alcohol, and it shouldn't have happened."

"I think if you've closed down an establishment, then you've done your job, at least in this particular set of circumstances," said Pablo Eves, Civil Assistant McLean Co. State's Attorney.

The Danvers Y Inc. lawyer says the tavern will close for business starting Wednesday morning.

He says all employees will be let go.

John Irwin, the bar owner, and Monson have sentencing hearings in August.

Monson could face up to 14 years in prison.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.