Fires Caused by Candles

By Jen Christensen

February 4, 2011 Updated Oct 26, 2013 at 3:58 AM CDT

The Pekin Fire Department is sending out a strong warning tonight: Do not leave candles unattended and consider using a safer alternative.

The fire department responded to two house fires on Tuesday night--in the middle of the blizzard--both were caused by candles.

Investigators say the first fire at 812 Charles Street started when a candle was left burning in a kitchen. The six family members are all okay, but the kitchen has around $15,000 worth of damage.

The second fire, in the 1300 block of Henrietta started when the homeowner fell asleep with a candle still burning. That blaze caused around $70,000 in damages.

Brian Cox from the Pekin Fire Department said, "If you're going to anticipate a power outage, you should probably not use candles because when you use candles, your vision is diminished and you could risk knocking the candles over and starting a fire."

Flashlights are the safe alternative to candles during a power outage.
The Pekin Fire Department is recommending people use wicless candles. They plug into the wall and melt the wax without an open flame.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.