Man Electrocuted While Working on Roof

By WEEK Producer

July 19, 2011 Updated Jul 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM CDT

A maintenance worker was electrocuted today, while working on the roof of a local strip mall.

Robert Deatherage,48 of Pekin ,was apparently electrocuted while working on a roof at 3203 N. Prospect in Peoria.

A group of men was painting at the strip mall for McCord Properties.

Deatherage was on the roof by himself when he apparently tripped and grabbed an exposed wire to try to catch himself.

Hank Tipton, a friend and co-worker says, "He tripped and fell into a wire on the roof, and he grabbed it with his hand and it just wouldn't let him go. So we had to pull him off the wire, that's as far as it goes right there. I gave him mouth the mouth the whole time and I couldn't get him back."

Tipton says this a pure accident.

Deatherage was pronounced dead at OSF Saint Francis around 1:45 Tuesday afternoon.

Peoria County Coroner Johnna Ingersoll says an autopsy will be performed Thursday morning.

Peoria Police and OSHA are investigating the incident.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.