ISU Wins in OT

By WEEK Producer

January 25, 2012 Updated Jan 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM CDT

Junior Jackie Carmichael scored a career-high 26 and grabbed a season-high 16 rebounds to lead Illinois State (13-8, 5-5 MVC) to a 76-69 overtime comeback win over Missouri State (12-10, 5-5 MVC) Wednesday on Doug Collins Court at Redbird Arena.

In 45 minutes of play, the Redbirds led for just one minute and 29 seconds to secure the overtime victory and secure a season sweep against the Bears. Carmichael recorded his sixth double-double of the season and his second in three games to lead the way for ISU, and Jon Ekey added 10 point and six rebounds in the victory. Missouri State was led by Valley Preseason Player of the Year Kyle Weems, who finished with 15 points and five rebounds.

Missouri State jumped out to a quick five-point lead in the opening minutes, and despite layups from Nic Moore and Ekey, the Bears retained this lead until Bryant Allen, assisted by Tyler Brown, scored a three pointer, closing the lead to 14-10. MSU fired back, scoring a back-to-back three-pointer and layup, 19-10, until baskets from Ekey and Carmichael brought the score to 23-17. Missoursi State continued to post continuous points until a layup from Anthony Cousin and a three-pointer from Ekey broke the Bear’s streak, 32-25. A layup from the Bears at the buzzer pushed their lead back to a nine at the half, 34-25.

The second half began with a seven-point run from the Redbirds, with layups from Carmichael and a three-pointer from Moore, closing the Missouri State advantage to 36-35. MSU went on a 10-2 run, putting them in front, 46-37.

Allen scored his second three pointer of the game, again assisted by Brown, 46-40, and layups from Brown and Jordan Threloff pulled the Redbirds within six, 51-45.

MSU and ISU traded baskets until dunk from Carmichael trimmed the Missouri State lead to 63-62. A three-pointer from Cousin gave ISU its first lead at 65-63 with 38 seconds remaining in regulation. The Bears evened the score with two free throws, and the Redbirds failed to score on their final possession of the second half, to force overtime.

In the extra period, the Bears fired first, but Brown countered to keep the game even, 67-67. Carmichael posted a layup to put the Redbirds back in the lead, 69-67. Strong defense and clutch foul shooting sealed the victory for the Redbirds, 76-69.

For the game, Illinois State knocked down 24 of its 33 free throw opportunities, while Missouri State connected on just five of its 14. The Redbird defense held MSU to just one made field goal on 10 attempts in the overtime period.

The Redbirds look to post another win on Sunday, Jan. 28 at 3:05pm on Doug Collins Court at Redbird Arena against Southern Illinois.

Article courtesy ISU Sports Information

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.