Residents Evacuated After Early Morning Fire

By WEEK Reporter

April 22, 2011 Updated Oct 26, 2013 at 4:09 AM CDT

Several people are chased from their apartment in Pekin during an early morning fire, Friday.

Authorities received the fire call shortly after 4:30 Friday morning.

When firefighters arrived at 210 Parkway, they called for extra units to help battle the blaze.

Pekin's Fire Chief says the fire is believed to have started in the chimney. And for a time, there was concern that some people were trapped inside.

"Upon arrival, they pulled with possible people entrapped. Upon arrival they had fire blowing through the roof on one end so they did an immediate search and found both apartments to be vacated at the time and started suppression efforts. Luckily, they had smoke detectors which woke them up and told them to get out of the building," says Chief Kurt Nelson.

There were no injuries reported. No damage estimate is available.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.