Timing is everything in ISU win over Drake

By WEEK Producer

January 30, 2011 Updated Jan 30, 2011 at 11:42 PM CDT

Austin Hill continued his torrid overtime scoring with four points in the extra period, as Illinois State held on to its third-straight Missouri Valley Conference victory with a 77-75 overtime win over Drake on Doug Collins Court at Redbird Arena Sunday afternoon, in front of 5,016 fans.

Illinois State improved to 11-11 on the season and 3-8 in league play and was led by John Wilkins’ 15 points and Trey Blue’s 11 tallies. Jackie Carmichael also posted his second-straight double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds and Hill finished with 11 points, who scored 10 points in the overtime period Wednesday night at Bradley. Drake’s Ben Simons led the Bulldogs (8-14, 3-8) with 18 points, while Rayvonte Rice added 11 and Kraidon Woods finished with 10.

Drake stormed out to a 9-2 lead after Reece Uhlenhopp’s second basket of the game at the 15:01 mark of the first half. Following a high elbow, intentional foul call against ISU’s Carmichael, the Bulldogs increased their lead to 13-4 when Seth VanDeest converted the two free throws with 12:11 left in the half.

The Redbirds responded with a 14-0 run, including nine points by Blue, as Drake was held scoreless for six minutes and ISU claimed an 18-13 lead with 7:07 on the clock. Illinois State and Drake traded baskets over the next four minutes and the Redbirds held on to a 24-20 lead with 3:05 left in the half. Wilkins pushed the Illinois State lead up to 10 points, at 30-20, with a 6-0 run, which gave him 12 first-half points. The Redbirds closed out the first half with a 32-23 lead.

The two teams continued to trade baskets in the second half, as Illinois State never led by more than 11 points and Drake couldn’t get any closer than five through the first 10 minutes of the final frame. ISU’s Alex Rubin drilled a three-pointer at the 9:10 mark to give the Redbirds their largest lead of the game, 56-43.

Drake made one final push and used a 15-4 run to close the gap to 60-58 with 3:56 remaining. The Redbirds and the Bulldogs traded three-point baskets and then Jon Ekey scored his first points of the game with a thunderous dunk off an offensive put back. He was also fouled on the shot and finished off the traditional three-point play to give ISU a 66-61 lead with 2:35 left in the game.

DU’s Rice tossed in a jumper to draw within one point, 66-65, with 1:40 left in regulation. Carmichael was fouled for the Redbirds with 1:04 left, but he missed the front end of the 1-and-1 giving Drake possession with a shot at the lead. Drake took the lead, 67-66, on Woods’ tip-in dunk at the 1:05 mark. ISU called timeout with 36.8 seconds remaining, but Hill’s running layup bounced off the back iron.

Rice stepped to the line for Drake and hit both free throws, despite missing each of his first six attempts in the game, giving the Bulldogs a 69-66 lead. ISU’s Anthony Cousin was fouled by Woods during his three-point attempt and tied up the game, 69-69, with three-straight makes from the free throw line and 7.9 seconds on the clock. Drake turned the ball over on the ensuing possession, but the Redbirds weren’t able to capitalize forcing the overtime period.

In overtime, a basket by Hill and four points by Carmichael provided a quick four-point cushion, 75-71, for Illinois State at the 3:04 mark. Drake’s Rice dropped in four more free throws and tied the game, 75-75, with 1:22 on the clock. Hill was fouled on a drive to the basket and his two free throws gave the Redbirds a 77-75 lead with 1:09 left. Drake’s Kurt Alexander buried a three in the corner which appeared to give the Bulldogs the win, but the officials waived off the basket after a review on the monitors and ISU prevailed.

Courtesy Illinois State University Sports Information

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.